1Know the complaint
  • Take your time
  • Clarify the issues
  • Consider a resolution
2Read our website and FAQs  
3Try to resolve  
4Seek Further Assistance  

What to do if your gas is disconnected

Getting disconnected can be extremely stressful and a major disruption in your daily life.

In order to get your supply reconnected you should contact your retailer immediately to discuss the reason for disconnection and what is required to reconnect your supply.

Our guide explains the access requirements for reconnection and the time frame in which an agreed reconnection must be carried out by the distributor.


What to do if your supply is disconnected

Contact your gas retailer immediately.

Even if you have spoken to your retailer prior to the disconnection, you must contact them again to discuss what is now required to enable reconnection.

How to get reconnected?

If you have been disconnected because you have not paid your bill, you will usually have to pay something towards your account or agree to a payment arrangement before the retailer will reconnect you.

The retailer may charge you additional fees associated with reconnecting your supply.

You may also be asked to pay a security deposit if you have a history of non-payment.

You can discuss payment arrangements and hardship programs with your retailer if you are having trouble paying your bills.

To avoid any additional stress, inconvenience and fees, you should speak to your retailer about any financial difficulties and payment arrangements as soon as you find yourself struggling to pay your bill and before disconnection occurs.

Before you contact your retailer, you should consider:

  • An amount that you can afford to pay immediately, no matter how big or small.
  • An amount that you are able to pay at a later date, and the date you will be able to pay it?
  • A regular amount that you will be able to pay as part of a payment plan.
  • The frequency of payments you can manage.

If you agree to a payment arrangement in order to have your gas reconnected, it is important that you can afford to maintain the payment arrangement. If you miss any payments, the arrangement will be broken and you may again face disconnection.

When must you be reconnected?

If your retailer has agreed to reconnection before 3pm on a business day, they must arrange reconnection:

  • On the day of the request.

If the request is made after 3pm but before 9pm on a business day:

  • On the day of the request if the customer pays any reasonable charge determined by the retailer or the distributor.
  • Or by the end of next business day (with no after-hours connection fee applied).

If the request is made on or after 9pm on a business day, reconnection must be arranged by the end of the next business day.

Access to your meter for reconnection

If your meter for your gas supply is not accessible to the distributor, you will need to ensure that you remain at the property to provide access until the reconnection occurs.

If you are not at the property to provide access when the distributor attends to reconnect and for this reason the reconnection attempt fails, you must contact your retailer the next day and again apply for reconnection.

An additional fee may also be applicable.

Relighting of appliances after reconnection

If you are not home when your gas is reconnected, then the gas supply may be restored but remain switched off at the meter.

You may need to turn on the supply at the meter and then relight any pilot lights.

Have you been wrongfully disconnected?

You may believe that you have been wrongfully disconnected.

If this is the case, you may be entitled to some form of compensation from your retailer or distributor if you were disconnected when they:

  • Were not entitled to do so under legislation or under your contract.
  • Failed to comply with the procedures required for disconnection.
  • Disconnected the wrong premises.
  • Did not provide a disconnection warning.

If you believe you have been wrongfully disconnected, you should contact your retailer or distributor to make a compensation claim.

Links and further information