1Know the complaint
  • Take your time
  • Clarify the issues
  • Consider a resolution
2Read our website and FAQs  
3Try to resolve  
4Seek Further Assistance  

Avoiding restriction of your water

Water services are different to electricity and gas because your supply will not be completely disconnected. However, it may be restricted to a prescribed minimum flow rate.

The best way to avoid the restriction of your water supply is to act promptly and speak with your retailer as soon as you find yourself in a position that may lead to restriction.

While you may find it difficult to discuss your personal circumstances with your retailer, remember that it will be much more stressful to do so after your water has been restricted.

Read our information on when your supply can and cannot be restricted.

Your water can be restricted:

  • If you fail to pay a bill.
  • When you have failed to provide safe access to your meter for three consecutive scheduled meter reads.
  • For health and safety reasons.
  • In an emergency or at the request of the police.
  • If you have provided false information in order to be connected.
  • If you have not provided acceptable identification when requested to do so by your retailer.
  • When illegal activities are suspected at your premises.
  • If you cause damage to the distributor’s equipment or interfere with a third party’s supply.

Your water retailer must give you fair notice before restricting your supply.

Your water cannot be restricted:

  • If the retailer is undertaking debt recovery action against you.
  • If you are participating in a hardship program.
  • If you have applied for assistance with relevant agencies and are awaiting a decision on the application.
  • For non-payment where the amount outstanding is less than the amount prescribed by the Essential Services Commission of South Australia.
  • If there is a total fire ban in place in the area you are located.

Reminder notice

A reminder notice is your cue to contact your water retailer as soon as possible.

You may still be able to negotiate a payment arrangement and avoid restriction.

Your retailer must use their best endeavours to contact you by phone, mail, email or other approved methods prior to restriction.

Restriction warning

If you do not contact your water retailer when you receive a reminder notice, you will next receive a restriction warning notice.

This notice will state that your  supply may be restricted in five business days if the reasons for restriction are not rectified.

You should contact your water retailer as soon as possible to discuss your circumstances.

Is your mailing address also the property address?

If you have purchased a property, or vacant block, you must make sure that your bills are sent to an address where you will receive them.

Supply charges are applicable to any property, or block of land, where water mains are accessible to connect to, even if there is no current connection or consumption.

If these bills are sent the street address of a vacant block, or rental property, they may not reach you as the account holder, and you may be unaware of a debt accruing.

You should contact your retailer if you are unsure that your water bills are being sent to the correct mailing address.

Links and further information