1Know the complaint
  • Take your time
  • Clarify the issues
  • Consider a resolution
2Read our website and FAQs  
3Try to resolve  
4Seek Further Assistance  

Connecting your water

Moving house is a busy time and the last thing you want to worry about is your water connection.

If you are moving into a property as the owner, your water account may have been handled as part of the sale, while renters should have their water connection and payment terms outlined in the tenancy agreement.

Read through our tips and remember that water remains the responsibility of the land owner, so it is important that the account is established correctly.

Opening an account

SA Water is the main water retailer in South Australia.

Recent reforms allow some councils and private operators to supply water and wastewater services. However, South Australia does not have a competitive water industry, so it is most likely that SA Water provides water services to your property.

The landowner of a property is responsible for the water account (which is different to electricity and gas, as the occupant is usually responsible for those accounts). A landowner should establish a water account when a property is purchased.

Landowners who rent out their properties are allowed to pass on full water consumption costs to tenants (as long as certain minimum criteria are met).

If you are a tenant, refer to your tenancy agreement for details regarding water costs.

Keep in mind that as a tenant you will not be billed directly, and the landlord or agent will usually send you a bill seeking reimbursement.

Moving in tips

  • Take a photo or write down the meter number and meter read when you first move into a property. Check these numbers against your first bill.
  • You cannot be disconnected for not paying water bills, but you can have your water supply significantly restricted. If you are having trouble paying on time, you should contact your retailer immediately.
  • If you rent a property and your landlord fails to pay (or recover money from you for payment), the water supply at the property may be restricted. If this happens, contact the Residential Tenancies Service.
  • You are responsible for providing safe, clear access to your water meter. If the meter is not accessible, your bill may be estimated. To avoid this, contact your retailer and discuss access options.

Moving out tips

  • Contact your retailer at least three days before moving out to cancel or transfer your account. If you do not do this, you may continue to be charged for the water used at the property.
  • Make sure you give the retailer your forwarding address for them to send you the final bill.
  • Take a photo or write down the meter read as you leave the property as proof, and check this against the final bill when you get it.

Links and further information