1Know the complaint
  • Take your time
  • Clarify the issues
  • Consider a resolution
2Read our website and FAQs  
3Try to resolve  
4Seek Further Assistance  

Payment assistance for water bills

If you find yourself struggling to pay a water bill the best thing to do is contact your retailer as soon as possible.

The earlier the issue is addressed the easier it is to manage without having late fees build up, getting into debt, or having your water restricted.

Before you contact your retailer to ask for an extension on a due date, or establish a payment arrangement, consider how much and how often you can afford to pay.

What if you cannot pay your bill on time?

If you are unable to pay your bill by the due date, you should contact your water retailer as soon as possible. It always best if you call before the due date.

The SA Water Customer Assist Program states that it is set up for customers who “are willing to pay their bill but are finding it difficult to do so due to financial difficulties”.

They have a number of options that may be available, such as:

  • Short term deferral of your payment.
  • Flexible payment schedules, including weekly, fortnightly and monthly.
  • Protection from overdue fees and water restrictions.

View SA Water’s Customer Assist PDF brochure (387 kb) for more information or call 08 7424 1650.

What if you are experiencing financial difficulties?

Hardship programs

If you are having a hard time paying your bill due to circumstances beyond your control (such as loss of income or illness), a financial hardship program can help you pay off your debt through an affordable payment arrangement.

Contact your retailer for further information.

Financial counselling

A financial counsellor can help you manage a short-term financial crisis and to remain in control of your own financial affairs.

They can assist with:

  • Budgeting and organising your finances.
  • Assessing your eligibility for government assistance.
  • Explaining debt recovery, bankruptcy and other alternatives.
  • Referring you to other relevant services (legal aid, personal counselling).

You can find a list of financial counsellors at the South Australian Financial Counsellors Association website.

Centrepay payments

SA Water can allow you to pay them directly from your Centrelink account. This payment process is called Centrepay and is a good option if you struggle to maintain a payment arrangement.

For further information, contact SA Water.


Pensioners and Concession Card holders may be eligible for a concession discount on their water bills.

Contact the Department of Communities and Social Inclusion Concessions hotline on 1800 307 758 for more information.

Links and further information